Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I signed an agreement with a contractor on October 13.

I signed an agreement with...
I signed an agreement with a contractor on October 13
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Kingwood, TX. It was to restore our flooded home. I subsequently received an as-is offer for the home that my wife and I wish to pursue. On October 19th I contacted the owner of the construction company asking if we could cancel the agreement if I agreed to pay him for all goods and services to that point. He replied that he was sure we could work it out. He has performed no work thus far, but I'm certain he has order some materials. I have paid him $21,500 to date, and now he is threatening legal action. I have everything in writing (texts). The agreement I signed is not in legal language, just my agreeing to a proposal he submitted. Am I obligated to the entire agreement?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all.
10/28/2017
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

We don't want the contractor to file a lien against you property to interfere with your sale. Do you have a copy of your agreement so I can check forl legal ways to terminate the agreement?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can email it

In the meantime you can report the contractor to the State licensing board. Since no work was performed the company should only be reimbursed for actual expenses they incurred.

This is a bad faith action on the part of the company and needs to be reported. Please give me a moment to provide the link and the email instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way for me to send a copy of the agreement to you to determine the extent of my commitment?

You can either attach the document or give me a moment to set out the email instructions.

Perfect.

There are no terms in the document setting out default or termination information. There is not governing law etc. Is this all that you signed?

They need to work with you or be reported. That is not a contract, I can also provide you with a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations that can send them a demand letter on your behalf.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That would be very much appreciated.

I find this type of tactic to be worthy of being reported to the BBB to warn other consumers.

Give me a few moments to provide a link for local Attorneys. Thank you for your patience.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I can ask that the site remove the contract or close this question for privacy. Let me know which you prefer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Remove the contract.Thanks

Thank you for using JA!

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney