Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Ray. When a Mortgage Servicer, through their attorney, files

Good morning Ray. When a...
Good morning Ray. When a Mortgage Servicer, through their attorney, files a Motion to Dismiss on a foreclosure case, is there a specific, written, time frame that I have to respond? Either from the date the Motion is filed? or prior to the Motion hearing date?The reason for the question: after receiving the Motion to Dismiss, I filed my response to the court and the opposing Attorney. At the hearing, the judge considered my response inadmissible, but said he would consider it, but did not.Also, just so I am clear and I’ll remind you I am in NJ.
What are the specific items that a Mortgage Servicer needs to submit to the court for them to be able to foreclose on a property? Does the Judge need to physically view these documents or just go by what is scanned into a electronic database, to make a final ruling on a case?
Of course certain documents do not need to be originals. Re: the ORIGINAL documents. Is the Judge required to view the original and certify their authenticity?
I was told by the opposing Attorney that I had no right to inspect any original documents after the Discovery phase. I can’t imagine that could be correct? I would think all originals would be required to be present at the court hearing?
Can a document stamped “CERTIFIED COPY” be presented in lieu of a original document?
Can a Judge rule in favor of the Mtg. Servicer if any required documents are not presented and/or can he deem them irrelevant?
Am I correct that the Servicer has the burden of proof, by submitting the required documents, to be awarded the right to foreclose? If so, do I have a valid argument for dismissal?
I have experienced the Judge make a ruling based on the fact that, “you had the obligation to make they mortgage payments and you did not.” and ignore any other facts of the case. It seems that the Judges, in NJ, are not strict and are quick to allow a Mortgage Company to “side step” certain requirements.Thank you again Ray and I look forward to your response
DanCan you give me any information, ex. Statute # which display the exact documents that need to be produced by the mortgage company?
10/25/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

RULE 4:6. Defenses And Objections: When And How Presented; By

Pleading Or Motion; Motion For Judgment On Pleadings

4:6

-

1. When Presented

(a) Time; Presentation.

Except as otherwise provided by Rules 4:7

-

5(c) (crossclaims),

4:8

-

1(b) (third

-

party joinder), 4:9

-

1 (answer to amended complaint), and 4:64

-

1(i)

(governmental answer in foreclosure actions), the defendant shall serve an answer,including therein any counterclaim, within 35 days after service of the summons and complaint on that defendant. If service is made as provided by court order, pursuant to

R. 4:4-4(b)(3), the time for service of the answer may be specified therein. Service of,the answer shall be complete as provided by R. 1:5

-4. A party served with a pleading

stating a counterclaim or crossclaim against that party shall serve an answer thereto within 35 days after the service upon that party.

A reply to an answer, where permitted,

shall be served within 20 days after service of the answer.

(b) Time; Effect of Certain Motions.

Unless the court fixes a different time period, the

time periods prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule are altered by

the filing and service

of a motion under R. 4:6 or for summary judgment under R. 4:46 or R. 4:69-2 as

follows: (1) if the motion is denied in whole or part or its disposition postponed until trial,

the responsive pleading shall be served within 10 days after notice of the court's action;

(2) if a motion for a more definite statement is granted, the responsive pleadings shall be

served within 10 days after the service of such statement. If notice is given a nonresident party demanding security for costs and

the nonresident gives notice of the filing of the

bond or the making of the deposit, the party making the demand shall then have the same time to plead as may have remained at the time of the service of the notice demanding the security.

(c) Time; Extension by Consent.

The time for service of a responsive pleading may be

enlarged for a period not exceeding 60 days by the written consent of the parties, which

shall be filed with the responsive pleading within said 60-day period. Further enlargements shall be allowed only on notice by court order, on good cause shown therefor.

(d) Certificate of Service.

The party filing the responsive pleading or the party's

attorney shall certify thereon, or in an acknowledgment, proof or certificate of service, that the pleading was served within the time period allowed by R. 4:6 or other rule specified in the certificate

1:6-

2. Form of Motion; Hearing

(a) Generally. An application to the court for an order shall be by motion, or in

special cases, by order to show

cause. A motion, other than one made during a trial or

hearing, shall be by notice of motion in writing unless the court permits it to be made orally. Every motion shall state the time and place when it is to be presented to the court, the grounds upon which it is made and the nature of the relief sought, and, as to motions filed in the Law Division-

Civil Part only, the discovery end date or a statement

that no such date has been assigned. The motion shall be accompanied by a proposed form of order in accordance with R. 3:1-4(a) or R. 4:42-

1(e), as applicable. The form of order shall note whether the motion was opposed or unopposed. If the motion or response thereto relies on facts not of record or not subject of judicial notice, it shall be

supported by affidavit made in compliance with R. 1:6-

6. The motion shall be deemed

uncontested and there shall be no right to argue orally in opposition unless responsive

papers are timely filed and served stating with particularity the basis of the opposition to

the relief sought. If the motion is withdrawn or the matter settled, counsel shall forthwith

inform the court.

(b) Civil Motions in Chancery Division and Specially Assigned Cases; Affidavit of

Non -Involvement in Medical Malpractice Actions.

(1) Generally. When

a civil action has been specially assigned to an

individual judge for case management and disposition of all pretrial and trial

proceedings and in all cases pending in the Superior Court, Chancery Division, the

judge, on receipt of motion papers, shall determine the mode and scheduling of the

disposition of the motion. Except as provided in R. 5:5-

4, motions filed in causes

pending in the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part, shall be governed by this paragraph.

(2) Motion for Dismissal Pursuant

to N.J.S.A 2A:53A

-40. A party moving

for dismissal of the action on the ground of non-

involvement in the cause of action

pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:53A

-40 of the New Jersey Medical Care Access and

Responsibility and Patients First Act, N.J.S.A. 2A:53A

-37 to 42, shall annex to the

notice of motion an affidavit of non-

involvement that complies with Rule 1:6-

6. In the

absence of opposition filed in accordance with Rule 1:6-

3, the court shall enter an order

dismissing the action as to the moving party. If opposition is filed, the court shall

proceed in accordance with this rule.

(c) Civil and Family Part Discovery and Calendar Motions. Every motion in a civil

case or a case in the Chancery Division, Family Part, not governed by paragraph (b),

involving any aspect of pretrial discovery or the calendar, shall be listed for disposition only if accompanied by a certification stating that the attorney for the moving party has

either (1) personally conferred orally or has made a specifically described good faith attempt to confer orally with the attorney for the opposing party in order to resolve the

issues raised by the motion by agreement or consent order and that such effort at

resolution has been unsuccessful, or (2) advised the attorney for the opposing party by

let ter, after the default has occurred, that continued non-

compliance with a discovery

obligation will result in an appropriate motion being made without further attempt to

resolve the matter. A motion to extend the time for discovery shall have annexed thereto

either a copy of all prior orders granting or denying an extension of the discovery period

or a certification that there have been no such prior orders. The moving papers shall

also set forth the date of any scheduled pretrial conference, arbitration proceeding scheduled pursuant to R. 4:21A, calendar call or trial, or state that no such dates have been fixed. Discovery and calendar motions shall be disposed of on the papers unless,

on at least two days notice, the court specifically directs oral argument on its own motion or, in its discretion, on a party's request. A movant's request for oral argument shall be made either in the moving papers or reply; a respondent's request for oral argument shall be made in the answering papers.

(d) Civil and Family Part Motions

- Oral Argument. Except as otherwise provided

by R. 5:5

-4 (family actions), no motion shall be listed for oral argument unless a party requests oral argument in the moving papers or in timely

-filed answering or reply papers, or unless the court directs. A party requesting oral argument may, however,

condition the request on the motion being contested. If the motion involves pretrial

discovery or is directly addressed to the calendar, the request shall be considered only

if accompanied by a statement of reasons and shall be deemed denied unless the court

otherwise advises counsel prior to the return day. As to all other motions, the request

shall be granted as of right.

(e) Oral Argument -

Mode. The court in civil matters, on its own motion or on a

party's request, may direct argument of any motion by telephone conference without

court appearance. A verbatim record shall be made of all such telephone arguments

and the rulings thereon.

(f) Order; Record Notation. If the court has made findings of fact and conclusions

of law explaining its disposition of the motion, the order shall indicate whether the findings and conclusions were written or oral and the date on which they were rendered.

How

ever, if the motion was argued and the court intends to place its findings on the record at a later date, it shall give all parties one day's notice, which may be telephonic, of the time and place it shall do so. If no such findings have been made, the court shall append to the order a statement of reasons for its disposition if it concludes that explanation is either necessary or appropriate. If the order directs a plenary or other evidential hearing, it shall specifically describe the issues to be so tried. A written order or record notation shall be entered by the court memorializing the disposition made on a

telephone motion.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ray I don’t know if I missed it in your response but did you give me the list of documents a mortgage company needs to provide in order to for close on a property?

Prior to filing a complaint in foreclosure, the mortgage lender must send the homeowner, via registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, a Notice of Intention to Foreclose. This is one of the most important protections that the Fair Foreclosure Act gives to homeowners. The lender must send the notice 30 days before filing a complaint. The notice notifies you that you are behind in your mortgage payments and gives you 30 days to cure the default. The law also requires that the following information be included in the notice:

• A description of the lender's interest in the property. This includes notification that the lender has a mortgage on the property and the name and address of the lender and its representative, if any.
  • The reason that the lender is trying to foreclose on the property. For example, you have missed mortgage payments.
  • Information about your right to cure the default, and how to do so. Under the right to cure, if you pay the full amount owed, the mortgage lender must accept it and reinstate the mortgage. During this time, the lender cannot charge attorneys' fees or court costs.
  • A statement of how much you must pay to cure and the deadline to pay to avoid foreclosure. The lender must give you at least 30 days to pay.
  • An explanation as to what will happen if you do not cure the default.
  • A statement that you may stop the foreclosure process even after the filing of the foreclosure complaint.
  • A statement that you have the right to sell or transfer title to the property during the foreclosure process.
  • A statement advising you of the importance of contacting an attorney along with contact information for the county lawyer referral service and Legal Services.
  • A list of all available resources to help your cure the default along with contact information for the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance.

The Lender Files the Foreclosure Complaint

If you are unable to cure the default on the mortgage and have not been able to come to an agreement with your mortgage lender within 30 days of receiving the Notice of Intent to Foreclose, the lender may then file a foreclosure complaint.

FEATURED LISTINGS FROM NOLO

9 Featured Foreclosure Law Firms In San Francisco, CA change location

Shartsis Friese LLP

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

The Williams Firm

View Phone

contact

Rehon & Roberts A Professional Corporation

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

Adleson, Hess & Kelly A Professional Corporation

4.9/5.0

View Phone

contact

VIEW ALL

The lender files the complaint with the Office of Foreclosure, which is a part of the Superior Court of New Jersey. The Office of Foreclosure handles the foreclosure unless you file an answer to the complaint. In that situation, the foreclosure is sent to a judge in your county. The complaint must set forth all of the facts that would give the mortgage lender (called the plaintiff in the complaint) the legal right to foreclose.

The Lender Serves You With the Foreclosure Complaint

After filing the complaint, the lender must personally serve you with the summons and complaint. You will be called the defendant in the complaint. The Lender may also send you a copy of the summons and complaint by regular and certified mail. If the lender is not able to personally serve you, it can request permission from the court to serve you by publication. This means that you will no longer receive notices directly. Instead, the lender will publish all notices in your local newspaper.

When you get the summons and complaint, you will also receive information about New Jersey's foreclosure mediation program. If you want to participate in the mediation program, you must make your request within 60 days of the date you received the complaint. If you do not request mediation within that 60 day time period, you will not be permitted to participate absent "exceptional circumstances." The mediation program does not stop the foreclosure process from continuing.

In cases where no answer is filed, or if an answer is determined to be non-contested, the mortgage lender can ask the court for entry of default. The lender can do so after 35 days have elapsed since you received service of the summons and complaint. If you do not respond the request for entry of default, the lender can then ask the court to enter final judgment.

However, 14 days prior to filing a request for entry of final judgment, the mortgage lender must send you a notice offering a final chance to cure the default. If it is possible for you to cure the default, you must respond via certified or registered mail, return receipt requested with a good faith estimate within ten days of your receipt of the motice. You will then be given 45 days from the date of the letter to cure the default.

If you are not able to cure the default, and the court grants final judgment to the mortgage lender, the court will issue a writ of execution ordering the sheriff to sell your house at public auction. You will get notice telling you when your home will be scheduled for sale.

Sheriff's Sale

When your home is scheduled for a sheriff's sale, you can request a two-week delay of the sale provided you pay a fee. The postponement is temporary only. If you want additional postponements of the sale, you must file a written request with the court. A court order with a new date for the sale is required, even if the mortgage lender agrees to the postponement.

Your Right to Redeem the Property

After your property is sold, you have 10 days to redeem (get back) the property. During this 10-day period, you can arrange to keep the property by refinancing or selling the property.

Proceeds of the Sale & Deed Transfer

If you do not redeem the property within 10 days, the proceeds from the sale will be paid to the mortgage lender for the amount owed. if the property sells for more than the amount owed on the mortgage, the difference will be paid to you. If the house sells for less than that which is owed on the mortgage, the lender does have the right to sue you for the additional amount owed (this is called a deficiency).(To learn more about deficiencies, see our Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure topic area.)

The deed to the property will be transferred to the lender two weeks from the date of sale.

They would have to prove up the note, the balance still due, etc to the satisfaction of the court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ray, final question. The hearing did not go in my favor. I know there is a higher court for me to go to. Can you tell me about that, what court, what forms I need, and how much time to file?
Also, I may try to cure the debt to try to keep the home. Who do you suggest that I approach?
Can I file a separate suit against the mortgage company after that point?
I will submit your positive rating. Thank you, Dan

Here is complete packet, check with your court to make sure you have all of these forms.

I hope you will appeal and have abetter outcome.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Have a great day.

Ray, Lawyer