Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

When the homeowners take over the COA from the developer are

Customer Question
they now responsible for all...
When the homeowners take over the COA from the developer are they now responsible for all past taxes on community property, snow removal, plumbers, lift station, well, etc?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Michigan, Kent County
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What are my options as a single homeowner on this Condo site project?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley
are you saying that those bills that were owed by the developer were never paid at the time of transfer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is correct. He is 2 years behind on the taxes for common property and has several bills that have not been paid. We just had a COA meeting to elect officers and nothing has been done about past due bills or the state mandated need for a generator for the wells for the condo site project. I have lived her 11+ years and own my home and property. I don't believe transfer has been filed yet.

If the transfer has not been done, then I would absolutely insist that all outstanding bills should be paid by the developer prior to the transfer being done. Further, if there are things that need to be done pursuant to any township or city ordinance, they need to be done as well. The Township is not going to just allow the builder to walk away with these obligations still outstanding. If they think they are that I would suggest contacting the Township and letting them know that the builder is looking to turn over the property to the community with all these outstanding issues. Under no circumstance what I agree to accept the transfer without the taxes being paid. The taxes will run with the land and have to be paid by whoever owns it which would be the community if they accept the transfer from the builder.

can I assist you further?

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer