Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I was going to build a new home and the contractor I chose

included everything but landscaping in...
I was going to build a new home and the contractor I chose included everything but landscaping in his bid. He used his brother architec and his draftman. I paid for the complete set of plans ($12,000+) and decided not to build now. This was in April 2017. I heard from golf friend that another golfer in out club was going to build a spec home on one of his lots and was using the same contractor who is using my plans. I contacted the contractor who said he was only using them as a base and was making major changes to the plans. This was in September. I happened to see the client of the contracto who confirmed that he was using my plans with some minor changes. I found some changes made to my plans on 8/3/2017 from the printer. They are very minor and superficial. Does the contractor or the architect have a right to use my plans which I paid for?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Do you mean legal paper work against the contractor or his client?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not started any legal proceedings. The plans were based on a floor plan I drew up for the architec who modified it from there.
10/23/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Right to use the plans you paid for is a matter of agreement and cannot be used unilaterally. You may also pursue damages to the extent incurred and measure that by amount you paid for them plus interest and costs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not signed any contract relating to the use of my plans. If necessary to proceed, who do I sue, the contractor or his client? Also, if I confront them with this information and they make more substantial changes to the plans, can I still sue them as they used my plans without my permission?

I would sue both, and between them you should be compensated for this improper use.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I confront them with this information and they make more substantial changes to the plans, can I still sue them as they used my plans without my permission to begin with?

Yes, the issue becomes the use without consent and what damages you incurred as a result.

would appreciate your rating my answers once with a 5 star rating.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer