Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

When is the president of a HOA board allowed to act without

a vote from the board?...
When is the president of a HOA board allowed to act without a vote from the board?
10/23/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The president of an HOA board has no special powers other than presiding over meetings. He can add items to the agenda without board approval, but the statutes don't confer any other special powers. The president's vote doesn't carry any extra weight, and he doesn't have general authority to make decisions that affect the community. The only way a president can act without a vote from the board is (a) if the HOA documents themselves grant the president special powers, or (b) if the board has already conferred some ability upon the president.

For example, if the board voted at any point to allow the president to hire maintenance workers for common areas without consulting the board, that would have an ongoing effect until a new vote changed it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Can u send to my email so I can print please?
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer