Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a joint tenancy be changed to tenants in common without…

Can a joint tenancy...

Can a joint tenancy be changed to tenants in common without the knowledge of the other owners. I live in Hawaii. I want to make sure the laws are the same or different my state?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't know, my parents are trying to take their share and will it to my brother.

10/23/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

.

Yes, any joint owner can sever the joint tenancy by deeding their interest to another person, the "straw man" and then having that person deed the property back to them. This ends the joint tenancy and converts it to a tenancy in common.

.

There is no legal requirement for one joint tenant to notify the other one that they are doing this..

.

.

thanks

is there a way to stop it from happening?

Legally no, any owner has the right to change the form of their ownership so that they do not lose it upon their death and can leave it to their heirs..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
okay thank you