Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We were wondering if a small condominium association can run…

Customer Question
We were wondering if...

We were wondering if a small condominium association can run with 3 board members instead of 5 as no one wants to be on the board. Our bi-law guides lines say 5 but we thought we could change it by a voting on it but other members say that Wisconsin statutes say it has to be 5, others say we a unit of 18 which makes a a small condo association and there-fore those rules don't apply.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes with the original owners who built the condos and after they sold all 18 units it was turned over to the homeowners. When I talked to MId West they said we could change bi-laws with a vote of all members but half of the others say with this guide line it cannot be changed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes were do we find Wisconsin state statutes for small condo associations? Or is there no difference between a small or a large association?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Just to let you know that a small condominium is 12 units or less according to the Wisconsin statute: (14m) “Small condominium” means a condominium with no more than 12 units. Also, I cannot find in the statute that it requires 5 board members. The other members who said that 5 members is statutory required should refer to the section requiring it. We can continue to discuss.

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Do you have any further questions?