Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am to receive a settlement from the town of Durham for a…

I am to receive a...
I am to receive a settlement from the town of Durham for a water tank that is on my property. The settlement calls for the town to pay me $550,000 for damages and then I will donate the land under the tower to the town, leaving me with 120 acres to sell or develop. The property is now in a single entity corporation which was done recently because of insurance issues ( I could not get insurance for the water tank liability). The land was originally owned by a limited partnership which has significant holdings. So the questions are - to whom should the "damages" be paid - me personally, the corporation or the partnership and who to best get the tax value of the donation (estimated at several million dollars)?
10/20/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the land is in the name of the corporation, the corporation should receive the payment. Once the deal is completed, the corporation would need to make any transfers of the property, since they are the legal owner and would take the tax benefits of any such donation, again, because the land is in the name of the corporation. The money needs to go to the owner of the property.

What is your actual question for us about the 20 year statute of limitations for mortgage contracts? You said you already had an attorney, did the matter go to court already and did the court issue a judgment? What is the situation?

Not sure you have the right person in regards ***** ***** year statue of limitations, etc.? Send me more data and I will respond

I do not know where the 20 year statute of limitations came from, it should not have appeared. I apologize for that typo.

Why can't the money go to me as "damages" as I was the one having to put up with this - sort of a "pain and suffering" situation

Something went wrong with the site, that seems to have bled over from some other question, please disregard the 20 year limitation paragraph.

The money goes to the owner of the property, so because your name is ***** ***** as owner of the property it needs to go to the owner. Then you can deal with getting your money from the corporation.