Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in the process of buying a home. Seller agreed to close…

Customer Question
I am in the...

I am in the process of buying a home. Seller agreed to close on November 29th of 2017. 2 days ago. Yesterday, their realto told me if I wnated to close on November 29th 2017 I would have to pay $6000. They want to close on December 27, 2017. I agreed to close on December 27th 2017. I wanted the house and have horses to move and they knew this. So in order not to lose the house, I agreed to close on the 27th of December 2017. My realtor thinks that got another offer after mine and was hoping I wouldn't agree to close on Dec 27 2017. Trying to make me pay $6000 to close on November 29th seems to be extortion. Was this legal what the sellers had the realtor present.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusettes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The offer was made on Monday with the original closing date on November 29th. My realtor has texts form the sellers realtor saying they agreed to these terms. I went to look at the house with my realtor and a friend on Monday night. The realtors discussed the details. The sellers realtor assured us the closing was on November 29th. Tis was the presented offer. Yesterday morning the sellers realtor told my realtor that to close by the 29th of November they wanted $6000. Otherwise the closing was on the Dec 27th. They submitted that offer late last night with a 5pm deadline for today to accept offer. I accepted that counteroffer and signed this morning. Selling did not sign offer till 4:30 pm. So offfer has been signed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this legal? Can I force an earlier close date than Nov 29 and what can I do to ensure they close on the 27th of December. I have to put up fenxes for horses, fix the barn and put heat into the second floor

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was this legal what the sellers had the realtor present.

.

Did you have a fixed date in the contract of Nov 29?

.

If so, why would you agree to extend the closing date and not just enforce the date in the contract?

.

Did they give any explanation as to why the date had to be moved?

.

.

thanks