Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a mortgage company and there are squatter s on the…

We have a mortgage company...
We have a mortgage company and there are squatter s on the property, I need to get them put as fast as possible. How long do I have to give them notice, and can I get an interim possession order and how does that work. Please tell me step by step the fastest way to get these squatters out
10/18/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If they are legitimate squatters - meaning that no one ever gave them any permission to move into the property - then they're trespassing and are not entitled to any notice. You could go to court as soon as you take title to the property and file for eviction. They could be charged with trespassing and burglary.

If they moved in with consent, either from the former owner or a former tenant, or something like that, they get one month's written notice to vacate under Tex. Prop. Code, Section 91.001. The notice should be personally served. If you don't know their names, it can be addressed to "John Does" or "Jane Does." Then, when the one month is up, if they're still there, you'll go to court and file a Complaint for eviction.

Detailed instructions are available on this site, along with forms you can use:

https://eforms.com/eviction/tx/

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

What about the interim possession order is there such a thing like that

Usually, that's for a person who is not named in the eviction suit but wants to assert rights to the premises. It's not something an owner can use to get possession before the trial.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer