Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Hiif a contractor does not take action on a mechanics lien,

would the Lien be voided JA...
Hiif a contractor does not take action on a mechanics lien, would the Lien be voided
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: west Los Angeles
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: a lien was filled in Feb, 15 2006
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thanks that is all
10/18/2017
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Yes, a lien does lapse within a period of time if a suit is not pursued. Under CA law, the contractor must file suit within 90 days of the recording of the lien. That is the only way for the contractor to enforce the contractor's lien rights. Subject only to some very limited exceptions, if the contractor goes past the 90 day time limit, the lien becomes unenforceable and the contractor is obligated to go through the steps to remove the now "stale" lien. If he refuses to do so, the contractor can be liable for up to $2000 in attorney fees for the owner to petition the Court to have the lien removed.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Lawyer