Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live on a golf course.Golf ball damage to my house has…

I live on a...

I live on a golf course.Golf ball damage to my house has caused damage to my roof and stucco.Approximately 20,000.00.Hoa and golf course takes no responsibility.hoa rules on protecting my house from future damage is not sufficient...I am second owner of my 12 year old house.I signed a waiver about responsibility,but was not told of the potential and prior damages...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

10/18/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, there is some not so good news about this I am afraid. We get this situation frequently from those who live in golf course HOA and the courts hold that once someone assumes the risk of living in such an area, the HOA is not liable for damages caused by golfers to the property. It is not up to the HOA to stop the damage, but if a golfer is identified as causing particular damage to a home the homeowner could hold that golfer liable for repair. Of course, most times in these cases you would not see who did the damage and then the owner needs to either have insurance for coverage or pay for repairs themselves.

If the HOA does not prevent it, some residents put up netting to protect their home from damage, but if the HOA prevents that from being done, I am sorry to say that waiver you signed and the fact that you assumed the risk by moving into an area known for flying golf balls would absolve the HOA of liability.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.