Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a duplex in Gulfport Florida. The upper was rented 5…

Customer Question
I own a duplex...

I own a duplex in Gulfport Florida. The upper was rented 5 months ago to 1 person. No last month paid. Month to month occupancy. I now, the owner need the apt. I requested to be a room mate. No reply to back has been received. I have since told her she will have to move if no arrangement can be made. She has stated twice she would take a room mate, when she took the space & when she learns I was looking for accomadations. What are my chances of moving in on my arrival Oct31st.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No paper work, other than email have been filed.iether way.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am the owner of the prop. And need access to do upgrades on the house, which in turn will benefit both upper & lower. I have no other place to stay.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What are my chances of moving in on my arrival Oct31st.

.

If she allows it, then you are fine to move in. But right now, the tenant is the only one who has a legal right to occupy the property since they are the tenant for the entire space.

.

But you can give them a written 3 day notice to pay or vacate and then use that as leverage to get them to agree to let you move in as a roommate. Either they agree to it or you proceed to evict them if they don't pay the rent.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer