Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What caused many people to lose their jobs in Flint

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

There are a few reasons that people lost their jobs in Flint, Michigan. Flint was once called "Vehicle City", and at its height, GM employed over 80,000 people in the mostly blue-collar city. But the 80's brought a recession and higher gas prices, which led to people to stop buying big cars that were common among U.S. automakers like GM. Looking to save money, GM laid off 30,000 people -and then their entire plant, and moved those jobs to Mexico. The after-effects this had on the city are chronicled in ***** *****'s film "Roger and Me."

Once the GM jobs were gone, anyone who could leave found a way out. By 2014, estimates indicate that half the population left, and now less than 100,000 people remain within the city limits — 40 percent of whom live below the poverty line.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.