Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Home owners insurance question, SC Its a basic adjuster

Customer Question
Home owners insurance question ...

Home owners insurance question

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

SC Its a basic adjuster question

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know about 2 claims in a year similair damage but prior were fixed Hurricane

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
My home had Hurricane damage when my dad owned it last year. The adjuster asked if I had any home claims in last few years I said no. We have an letter of experience from prior Home owners insurance and all repairs were fixed and he receieved his recoverable dep and it was closed. Irma came and I now live here. We had similiar wind damage to same area of home another tree fell and so forth. What info should I tell this adjuster for some reason it shows me associated with this address last year even though I didnt live here.but had my auto broke into here and filed that claim under his policy. Since the prior hurricane damage was fixed and he got his Recoverable dep back is there any thing I need to share with adjuster. He just gave me this home 3 months ago. I dont want it to look like im filing the same claim, but hopefully the prior insurance company letter of experience and photos will suffice. I just was unaware of what details the adjuster has about prior claims. Are they general claim info or detailed? Please advise
Dads claim from Hurricane Matthew shows closed and satisfied- Im hoping to avoid them trying to tell me this is pre-existing. Maybe the adjuster doesnt have exact detailed info of prior claim to any certain home or do they.
This is a new claim from Irma. I was abroad when damage occured so now im back and he is coming tomorrow.
I guess my point isI don't want to get caught up in anyFiasco,My dad fixed all the repairsBut the damages are very very similarIn nature. I'm doubting the adjuster has exact details of prior claim, And if the plane was closed satisfactorilyThen there should be no issue correct?
I just don't know what all I should tell the adjuster, I have the deed paper work in progressAs you know it takes a whileI just don't want to be caught up in a lieTo the adjusterBecause I personally have not had any insurance homeowner claimsIn my name ever,My dad was the insuredDuring hurricane Matthew
10/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

What I gather is that there was damage from Hurricane Matthew and now there is damage from Hurricane Irma. Your concern is that the adjuster will deny coverage or limit coverage for Irma damage because the adjuster may say that there was a pre-existing condition. Is that your concern?

no....what is a letter of experience? The problem is after I opened my policy I went overseas, So they never had time to come inspect the property. I'm worried thatThey may try to say that my dad never fixed the issues, But doesn't a letter of experience and I closed claim show proof of that with prior insurance company....I have pictures that dad gave me. He was the main insured during hurricaneMatthewHe senses given me the home, And then Irma hitI have almost the identical same damageTo the same room, A tree right beside the other one, I just didn't know how much detailed information the adjuster has access to,I think they only have access to generalized information such as a claimAnd whether it was satisfied or not correct
Four instance if the roof was damaged in one areaAnd it's damaged close to the area that was fixed, I just don't want any discrepancies and I don't want to get caught up in someFiascoLooking like I've done something wrongWhen I haveI guess the most important part is since the insurance wasn't his nameWhen Matthew hitAnd it is in my name now when irma hit, I'll should be okay.His insurance claims should not have any impact on my collecting for my repairs. Even though they are similar in nature correct
typo: In the above paragraph I said I don't want anythingTo look fishyOr look like I've done something wrong, When I have not...TypoIn the above paragraph I said when I have
This is probably all irrelevant, and I am probably worrying over nothing,

When insurers calculate your premium one of the factors they consider is your insurance history. A letter of experience lets them see any previous claims you've made, accidents, cancellations and the length of time you've been insured.

I do think your worries may be overburdening you but at the same time it is good to have all in order with regard to what happen during Matthew. The claim closing and the letter would be good evidence that all was taken care of. There could be a chance that the current adjuster will look closely at what happen during Matthew. So it is good you are aware of this and to have all paper work, pictures, etc. to show the repairs were completed.

We can continue to discuss if you would like to do so.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions or clarify issues if I am misinterpreting your question. I am happy to help further if need be.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.