Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a situation where $6,500 in a Holdback by the escrow…

Customer Question
We have a situation where...
We have a situation where $6,500 in a Holdback by the escrow company was established that required that the Buyers must write a letter of release of the Holdback funds when particular work was completed. The work has been completed as certified by a 3rd party. The Buyers have determined that if they do not sign a release, and we do not formalize a legal challenge, the $6,500 goes to them at the end of the Holdback period. The Holdback specifies Buyer’s approval or a non-appealable mediation/arbitration or court order is required to have the Holdback funds delivered to us.Separately, the Buyers have threatened legal action regarding the total square footage of the home, wanting $24,600 returned to them as the price per square foot difference between City and County records. The Buyers did not have the home measured during the Inspection period as specified in the standard purchase contract.The standard purchase contract specifies the use of mediation/arbitration. It does allow for using Small Claims for up to $3,500. Small Claims in non-appealable. A counter-claim by the Buyer for more than $3,500 or by an attorney automatically moves it out of Small Claims court. We would take the $3,500 to avoid the cost and aggravation of trying to get the Buyers to agree to Mediation/Arbitration.What course of action for trying to retrieve some or all of the $6,500 does Just Ask recommend?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello again...

.

I was the expert who assisted with your previous question on this topic, so my recommendations wouldn't change... I will opt out and open the question to other experts to give you a second opinion.

.

.

thanks

My apologies for repeating the background. Learning how Just Ask operates. Really a follow-up question, but the follow-up button disappeared.What course of action for trying to retrieve some or all of the $6,500 does Just Ask recommend?
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I am an Arizona licensed Attorney. Did you still need this question answered?

Tina, Lawyer