Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought an older home. I had a home inspection. I just had…

I bought an older...

I bought an older home. I had a home inspection. I just had the foundation checked and it is sinking. Do I have any recourse on anyone. State of Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

State is VA. city of Galax

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I am getting an evaluation sent to me vis email

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

10/16/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

How long ago did you buy the house?

Was there an inspection before closing?

Was the foundation warranted by the seller?

I went to settlement on 31 July took possession on 1 August. I had a home inspection done before settlement and paid $300 to the inspector. NO home owner warranty nothing was warrented
Not at this time
IS there anything else you need to know?

Thank you for the additional information. Give me a moment to type an answer. It will post shortly.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If you did not receive a warranty from the seller then you would need to prove fraud to recover from your sellers. That requires showing actual and intentional misrepresentation to induce you to buy the property.

You can also file a negligence or breach of contract action against your inspector if they inspected the foundation and certified it in good condition. However, you will want to check the contract with the inspector for any limitations on recovery.

Otherwise, it may be a difficult claim to take to trial against the inspector or seller, but you may be able to leverage a settlement in the course of the suit so that at least some of the repair is covered by the other parties.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer