Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If a public road is expanded onto a privately own property…

If a public road is...
If a public road is expanded onto a privately own property boundary line; can they be sued?
10/15/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Sorry...can who be sued?

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

Thank you

You would need to sue the State of PA. You can...if the state of PA took your private property without compensation? That would violate the US Constitution...so you would have a suit. You will need to hire a local attorney to bring this suit to court for you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

They are very close to my property boundary line. Almost too close. They keep increasing the width of the road. I have no clear marker pin. For them to see.
But I do know where the line resides due to a map I got from the County records office. My concern is, if they widen the road again, and there is no clear property pin to indicate were my boundary line resides. That they may infringe upon my rights. Also, is there a law that states how far a public road may be layed near a privately held property?

No...there is no such law. The state can use its property up to your line. But no further. So they can build up to their line...but if they want to extend to your property, they have to pay you for that.

Ok thank you

Welcome. Please take the time to accept the answer, I would truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer