Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord is withholding my deposit ($3750) for damage…

Customer Question
My landlord is withholding...

My landlord is withholding my deposit ($3750) for damage wood flooring caused by a burst pipe under the kitchen sink. He claims that it was caused negligently by a sealed container containing chlorine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sure, it is in Harris County, Houston Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet. I am awaiting the final paperwork but I know that they will make significant deductions for the flooring, which they are replacing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sure. I just want to know what it will cost to estimate the likelihood of winning my case, and what information the lawyer will need.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Real Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay, thanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Are you planning on representing yourself or hiring a local lawyer to represent you?