Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A neighbor filed a complaint against be about easement

Customer Question
A neighbor filed a...

A neighbor filed a complaint against be about easement access with the homeowners assoc. in the complaint she proposes a bylaw against intimidation etc. she is implying that i threatened her. is that grounds for slander?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What specifically did she say?

i don't have the document. in general she proposed a bylaw against a neighbor acting hostile toward another. it was a cheap shot. we are both on the HOA board. i feel that she tainted my reputation

Defamation (slander is spoken defamation, libel is written defamation) requires a false statement of material fact communicated to a third party that causes quantifiable economic damages. The content of the communication is important. How was it implied that you were acting hostile towards her?