Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm about to go into an HOA meeting. The HOA board members…

Customer Question
I'm about to go...

I'm about to go into an HOA meeting. The HOA board members all have a smaller sqft than the rest of the homeowners. The board members want to lower their HOA fees and charge by the sqft. Is this common? Is it something that should be voted? Also, they decided they want a special assessment of $3000 per household, except they want theirs to be lower according to their sqft.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They have not given us anything in writing.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hoa fees are typically based on size of premises so such an adjustment is reasonable. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No, i'm a member Of 4 HOA's and three of them go by each independent homeowner no matter what the sizes of the property everyone pays the same price because you're using all the common grounds. I have never heard of by sqft. Also, what about the special assessment? Is that determined by sqft Aldo?
They can be equally divided or based on square feet. Where the latter it would apply to maintenance and special assessment. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!