Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I acquired a treasurers deed to a parcel of land in Forbes…

Customer Question
Hello: i acquired a...

Hello: i acquired a treasurers deed to a parcel of land in Forbes Park, Costilla County. I would like to sell this property, but was informed that I need full title to it before it could be sold. What is the process and the cost involved in obtaining what apparently is called "Quiet Title"?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Real Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Would you know of a law firm in Costilla County that could handle the problem?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

It is in Forbes park, Costilla County, CO.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None so far.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

A treasurer’s deed transfers ownership to the new grantee, clear of all previous liens and rights of ownership, possession, or use. A treasurer’s deed is not a warranted title, but simply grants whatever ownership interest in the property the former owner possessed.

.

So you have full title.. you just might not have a title that would be insurable. So the first thing that should be done is to have a full title search done on the property by a licensed title company. Once the report comes back, if they will issue a title insurance policy, then you are good to sell it because they are confident enough that you are the only legal owner that they will bet on you with a title insurance policy.

.

If something comes up where they won't issue you a policy, then you have to file the quiet title lawsuit against any previous owners who might show an interest in the property to have a judge issue an order declaring you to be the sole legal owner. That will require a local real estate law attorney to assist with and will typically cost 3-6,000 if there aren't any big issues and it is a fairly simple case.. But every attorney will do the exact same thing, so you can shop based on price..

.

.

thanks