Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Please give a couple minutes to explain my issue... Im in…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl... Please give...

Hi Pearl... Please give a couple minutes to explain my issue...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Im in broward county fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Its to do with flood insurance...my mortgage company Ocwen servicing, demanded 4 years ago that i purchase a FEMA flood policy. Not questioning it, I did purchase a policy. I have since found out that none of my surrounding neighbors were forced by their mortgage holders to purchase flood insurance. My house was built in the 50s and has NEVER flooded. In fact the area is called the highlands because it sits on a big sand dune and is one of the highest points in the county. Ive already been in arguments with ocwen over forced lender policies they have placed on my property for homer owners and hazard insurance, claiming I never sent them proof of insurance I had theough citizens.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did contact FEMA and ordered a flood zone map and also researched Ocwens unethical practises....they have settled more class action law suits in the last few years for said frauds than I can count on all fingers and toes....

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information. Below I have provided links to Broward County Flood maps and information regarding flood zones. There are very few areas in the County where flood insurance is not mandatory. However, if you live in zone X (which you can find by entering your address or looking at the map), then flood insurance is not considered mandatory and you can use a print out of that information to deal with your mortgage holder.

Here are the links: http://www.broward.org/Environment/Engineering/FloodZoneMaps/Pages/ProposedNewFloodMaps.aspx

http://www.ppines.com/index.aspx?NID=1066 (this one is put out by pembroke pines but covers all of Broward and gives some extra information you might be interested in.

The fact that your neighbors may or may not have been forced by their mortgage holder to buy flood insurance is not determinative of your situation. The map and zone of your specific property and the underwriting requirements of your mortgage holder are what decides what coverage you can be required to carry.

As an aside, as someone who lives in an area that never flooded prior to Irma, but did with Irma, I can say that I am glad I had flood insurance even when not required. I can certainly understand not wanting to pay for coverage that has never been needed before, and as long as a homeowner is financially prepared for that once in a century or more event, they have a choice not to elect it if they are, in your case, in flood zone X.

Please feel free to ask for clarification after you have reviewed the information at the links. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer