Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in the midst of a Reverse mortgage and now found out…

Customer Question
I am in the...

I am in the midst of a Reverse mortgage and now found out that my deceased husband took out a 2. in 2006 for $30000 and stopped paying in 2009. He died 2013. I now owe to them $49000, but they never once send a bill or any kind of note. I cannot get a Reverse unless I pay them $25000, that my broker got negotiated. I am 70 years old and have a $30000 nest egg for emergencies. Do I have any way to keep my savings?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Menifee, California, Riverside County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, with my Broker for Reverse

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I pretty much explained it all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

All you can do here really is try to negotiate if you can pay cash.The liens are already on the house, cannot get loan unless you resolve it.I am so sorry your husband did this.It clouds title. you can offer them less say $20k threatening bankruptcy, see if they accept less.They likely sent bills to the deceased husband since he was on the note.It is unfortunate he did not ell you he was going to do this.Try to negotiate down here if you can.

I appreciate the chance to try and help you tonight and am sorry for your loss of spouse and this whole situation.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.