Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor has a dead tree hanging over my property. Is…

Customer Question
My neighbor has a...

My neighbor has a dead tree hanging over my property. Is there anything I can do to force them to cut down before it totally fall on my property, ie house, cars, etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have sent my neightbor a letter about the trees, notified code enforcement and talked directly to neighbor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I feel very threaten by the tree. I am afraid to be in the back yard and fear daily that my cars will be damage by the tree when it eventually fall. My neighbor has had another tree fall about 2 years ago which fell on my car and house. I endured the financial damage with my insurance company. I desperately want to avoid this situation again.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is a textbook situation of a tree limb trespassing unto your property from that of a neighbor. Every state has its own version of the doctrine. South Carolina shares its doctrine with , possibly because they have both developed from the same original "old style" common law of the colonies. According to Jones v. Wagner, 624 A. 2d 166 - Pa: Superior Court 1993:

"First, an aggrieved landowner is entitled to exercise a self-help remedy by either trimming or lopping off the branches to the extent his property is encroached. Second, if the landowner has incurred reasonable expenses in the course of exercising a self-help remedy, he may recoup those expenses from the trespasser. Third, he may, on a trespass theory, seek equitable relief compelling the trespassing neighbor to remove the trees to the extent of the encroachment and seek appropriate incidental and consequential damages."

So:

1) You can utilize self-help, you can hold them to reasonable expenses with this; and if you need to have someone else do it, you can hold them to the reasonable expenses of hiring a contractor; or

2) You can go to court, get a judgment for the reasonable expenses AHEAD of time, and then do it;

- the choice is yours.

Of course, a demand letter threatening to do this and hold them legally responsible unless they cut it themselves may work.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.