Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have owned a condo in Veto Beach for about five years.

Customer Question
I have owned a...

I have owned a condo in Veto Beach for about five years. From the outset, I have had the same tenant. The tenant was found through a real estate agent. The annual lease expires ever October and has been renewed by me and the tenant. At the time of renewal, I have also signed a EXCLUSIVE RIGHT OF RENTAL AND LEASE. At the time of renewal, I pay the agency a 10% fee. I am wondering if it is possible for the tenant and me to work out a rental agreement on our own and thus avoid the renewal fee which seems a lot of money to basically changes the dates of the lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

For the lease ending this October, yes. But not for renewal which would begin later this month

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

No, I think issue can be handled without phone call

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Ok
Texting will be fine

Ok, great thanks! I'm typing up your answer now.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, the answer to your question is yes. You may need to wait until this current lease is over end you will also have to check the terms of your agreement with the real estate agent. It is probable that you have the right to cancel the agreement before the renewal of the lease each year. If that is the case, I would send a termination of your agreement before the release renew's again so that way the agent is not going to be entitled to the fee. Then, you can go ahead and enter into a private in separate agreement with the tenant. There is nothing under the law that will specifically force you to have to work with a real estate agent. The only thing that would hold you back as if the terms of the agreement say that so long as you're renting with this tenant you have to pay them a fee. Unless that is the case, and it doesn't sound like it is, then you can go ahead and turn make your agreement with the real estate agent and stop paying them royalty for something that happened so long ago. In fact, if you click here you can purchase a $10 termination of contract template.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.