Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Bought house in N.C. that had a well already. Well put in 19…

Customer Question
Bought house in N.C...

Bought house in N.C. that had a well already. Well put in 19 years ago by previous owner. Neighbor died and now his estate has had their property surveyed and turns out that my well is 3 feet on their property. Offered to buy strip of land with well but the estate was asking a price about 4 times the value of the land.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. Not to my knowledge

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking for options?

What are my rights and possible recourse.
Are you still working on a response.?
You can claim ownership based on adverse possession. You can negotiate a lower price on that basis. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”