Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Got a letter to vacate house, it says property was acquired…

Customer Question
Got a letter to vacate...
Got a letter to vacate house, it says property was acquired by USDA Rual Housing. Says we have 30 days to do so or sheriff department may come and evict. This the first notice about leaving.Have not received a notice of sale from Sheriff Department. So do we really have 30 days? Or can we get more time?we have a house I have been remodeling on but needs new roof.and some inside work it was a total gut out and remodel, Hoping to get more time here in this house is done. I live on SSDI had back surgery and living is tuff.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

They can't force you out in 30 days.. They are sending you that notice to notify you that they are terminating your tenancy, but if you didn't move, they still have to file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff would then execute to force you to vacate. But that will take a month or longer after the 30 day notice expires if the USDA is the actual legal owner now..

.

So you are looking at 2 months or longer before they could force you to vacate..

.

.

thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** is a friend of mine so maybe another 30 days or more. 90 days would good the house would be done by then. Thank You for your advice

You are very welcome... And that is the minimum if they moved as fast as they could... Govt agencies aren't known for being "speedy" or doing their jobs very well, so I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't have 90 days or more..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much