Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been told I have one week to move out and that my…

Customer Question
Hi, I have been...

Hi, I have been told I have one week to move out and that my things will be moved out for me unless i cooperate, by my landlord, I've been in a lease agreement with him since june 20th , and have a 60 notice policy on the contract.He also claims i have been late with rent since june which is not true and doesnt want to sign off on receibts. so i asked him to sign off on receibts or i wont pay another dime, which doesnt help. I met with him yesterday and he said he will enter my place without permission and move my things out into a barn he owns also. wjhat are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The andlord been breaking contract left and right showing up with no notice even bringiing over friends and party at our home in our absence, Which even states in contract if he does the penalty is one month rent free. I lived there since april 2017 on and of and then made and signed contract to try to have clear agreements for everyone to be living gracefuly, but thats not what i'm experiencing.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

The landlord may not terminate or interrupt your tenancy without cause, and even with cause, legal process is required through the court.

Failure to do so will expose the landlord to civil liability to you fro breaching the lease and your the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment.

So, if the landlord tries to dispossess you or moves your things, you can call the police and charge him with trespass, and also sue him civilly for money damages.

If the claim does not exceed $10,000 you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Also, your landlord is required by CA statute to give you a receipt if you pay rent with cash.

California Civil Procedure Code 2075 states: "Whoever pays money, or delivers an instrument or property, is entitled to a receipt therefore from the person to whom the payment or delivery is made, and may demand a proper signature to such receipt as a condition of the payment or delivery."

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!