Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My rent went up 250 a month and at the same time my son

Customer Question
My rent went up...

My rent went up 250 a month and at the same time my son turned 18 and my child support ended my son worked part time and we barely managed. now my son isnt working and im slowly getting behind. i only bring in 750 a month and my rent is 526 plus utilities . now i have papers of eviction not filed to the courts yet but have added an extra 675 for lawyer fees i think i can get the rent together but not the late fee and 600 of lawyer fees i dont want to lose my section 8 and i cant save money for a deposit to move what can i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington i had to change from my tablet to my laptop because my tablet died

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Also i use to have a 2 bedroom voucher but now for the last couple of yrs they bumped me to a onebedroom

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also i have always had a 2 bedroom voucher 3+ yrs ago they bumped me down to a 1 bedroom i had a 16 yr old son they said 2 to a room i feel this is wrong on many levels. even though they allow ed me to obtain a 2 bedroom i could only get help for a one bedroom plus they punish you for not staying in the guidelines by making me pay an extra 50 dollars that they would normally pay so with the difference in the voucher amount plus 50 im paying 526 for a 2 bedroom which i need having a adult son with me i have never paid that much i only make 750 a month and i have to pay utilities i cant afford it and i cant move because i cant save for a deposit so when my rent was raised 250 a month and my child support was droppped as my child turned 18 i have fell behind now causing a ripple effect now facing possible eviction and losing my section 8 in that process am i screwed i will end up homeless i have no other resources

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, you would need to pay them the rent that is owed and ask them to agree to a payment plan, for the legal fees and and late fee. The goal, is to show and convince them that if they agree to this, you will be able to pay the rent moving forward and not behind again and be able to pay off the balance, over the next couple months. They do not have to agree to this but they likely will work with you, rather than have to go through the eviction process, which takes additional time, effort and money.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!