Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Across the street from where i rent is a vacant property.

Customer Question
Across the street from...

Across the street from where i rent is a vacant property. squatters were kicked out and the place was red tagged. i called, and the cty. told me it was redtagged for no utilities. can i go min , pay back taxesm, establish residence and fix it up. can i go for adverse possession?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Calif.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that i know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. id like to take possession and fix it up. all windows are broken out and place is trashed

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The answer to your question is yes, but you would need to meet the necessary elements for adverse possession in California. According to the state, “A trespasser is entitled to legal ownership of property if his occupation of the property is hostile, actual, open and notorious, exclusive and continuous for a period of five years set by state statute. California also require the trespasser to have paid the local property taxes on the land.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.