Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How can I attempt to get an extension of the lockout

Customer Question
How can I attempt...

How can I attempt to get an extension of the lockout deadline for a homeowner foreclosure eviction in SC?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

South Carolina. a writ of assistance has been served with a lockout date of Oct 5.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

A writ of assistance has been served with a lockout date of Oct 5.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need an extension because 5 days is not enough time.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to get an extension, you must go to the court where the eviction was ordered and you need to file a motion for extension execution on writ and you need to explain to the court why you cannot leave in 5 days and how many days you would REASONABLY require to get out of the property. You must have good cause for the delay, such as health reasons or a short delay in availability of your new premises, but the court is not likely to give you more than 5 additional days to remove yourself from the premises.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.