Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am building a screen porch on the back of my home. The…

Customer Question
I am building a...

I am building a screen porch on the back of my home. The builder of my home build a fence on my property. I want to move the fence back 3 or 4 feet, but the HOA said I could not move fence. My property line runs 15feet behind the fence

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is no then in the covenant that states I can't move fence

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is there anything that says the HOA has authority over an owner installing or moving a fence in the Bylaws or CCRs?

.

.

thanks

No

Then they have no right to tell you what you do with your fence.. The Bylaws and CCRs are the governing documents that give the HOA the power to regulate behavior in the neighborhood. If they don't state an owner has to request permission to put up or move a fence, then they don't...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much