Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I am the sole person on the mortgage and sign a quit

Customer Question
If I am the...

If I am the sole person on the mortgage and sign a quit claim to the property, am I still responsible for the mortgage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Quit claim has been signed

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

.

Yes, the deed determines who owns the property, the mortgage determines who has to pay for it. Transferring the property via a quitclaim deed changes ownership, but you are still responsible for the mortgage. Only the lender can agree to transfer that obligation to someone else...

.

.

thanks

Is the owner responsible for paying for the property if I don't pay the mortgage?
Thanks for you help

.

Legally no, only the person on the mortgage is liable for it. But if they didn't pay it, the lender would foreclose on it and sell it at auction..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much