Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Divorced spouse in june, tried to get back together and

Customer Question
Divorced spouse in june...

Divorced spouse in june, tried to get back together and bought property, not together can I get off ownership

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Cadillac, michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Closing done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wife changed name in divorce but used my name in closing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

How do you want to get off ownership? You mean without your ex-wife's permission?

i just dont want to be responsible and it show on my credit
no

No what?

no call, wait for answer
how can i get off loan

Got it, thanks. That is an automatically generated offer, not something I sent you. Please allow me some time to prepare your answer.

What type of tenancy is this? A Joint tenancy? Or a tenancy in common? And to confirm, you are not married, correct?

Can you give me some info and if needed we can talk
Not married, residential, reconcellation did not work but we are on rural development loan, co-owners, aug 29. She used my lady name not new legal name after divorce.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. But first, I need to remind you that I am not a court officer, a legislator who makes the laws, or a judge. I do not make any decisions about your case. I am only here to provide you with information about the situation. So please do not hold negative or bad news against me. I am just a messenger.

When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Getting off the deed (or title) does not let you off the hook for the mortgage. If you are responsible for paying the mortgage, you are on the hook, irrespective of your ownership interest in the home. When there are multiple people listed as owners of the mortgage loan, they are jointly and severally liable for the loan. That means either of you separately or both of you together are responsible for the loan. So you would have to agree together to terminate the loan and pay off what the loan has paid for the home, plus interest and penalties, as stated in the mortgage document.

Note, however, that it might mean that the home is foreclosed upon unless the other party is willing to take on the entire loan herself.

Long story short, you are both responsible for the loan, together and individually. So you and your ex-spouse have to work out an agreement for her to take on the loan herself, or to sell the home and pay off the loan with the proceeds. The answer on what can be done aside from that is in the loan document itself.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

paralegal was going to get with you and respond, did not like last answer.. I need someone to work with x and negociate new loan with me off of it... I dont need to be envolved with x wife any...i need a go between to resolve.

It's not about you liking the last answer. It's about what is available under the law. I'm going to opt out of this question.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer