Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am writing on behalf of my sister-in-law who resides in…

Customer Question
I am writing on...

I am writing on behalf of my sister-in-law who resides in MI. Her husband (my brother) passed away Aug. 20, 2014. Prior to his passing he re-financed their home on his own with CitiMortgage. The loan is strictly in his name however the deed has both of their names on. The question being - Is she liable for the loan?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What type of paperwork? She submitted a death certificate and a copy of the deed.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. If it is only his name on the loan, then she is not going to be responsible for it. The only issue though is that the bank has a lien on the home and meaning that if she does not pay, then they would be able to send the home through foreclosure. So, her credit may not be impacted and she won't be responsible for paying the loan, but the loan still must be paid if she wants to continue to own at home. In the worst case scenario, the bank will sell the home at a foreclosure sale and if there is any money left over they would return it to her after they took what was left on the mortgage.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.