Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My sister and I lived together for four years and I paid…

Customer Question
My sister and I...

My sister and I lived together for four years and I paid most of the expenses. I was her POA and she died without a will. Can I still process a quitclaim deed even though she is deceased? I have two brothers, and both know it was her desire for me to have her home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am sorry. Thanks for your prompt response. I live in Denver, CO. She owns the townhome, but I have paid the property taxes, association fees, electricity, etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. I have the quitclaim deed forms, but wasn't sure if I could apply since there was no will other than me being her POA. She has cancer, and everyone knows I was the responsible party for her bills and day-to-day care-giving duties.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope. That about covers it. Thank you very much.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

she is the sole owner. She is divorced and owns the property in her name only.

What kind of POA was it? Were there any limitations expressed in it?

No, it was full power of attorney

But medical, general, durable? Which type?