Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord is demanding that I shampoo the carpets while I…

Customer Question
My landlord is demanding...

My landlord is demanding that I shampoo the carpets while I am still living in the unit. He is not evicting me, it is because I smoked in the unit, and have since stopped. Can he force me to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He keeps stopping by whenever with no notice and leaving hand written notes on my door, he left one yesterday saying he will be by Saturday evening to inspect to see if I have clean my living room up so I can shampoo the carpet.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Does the lease address this? Did he allow you to smoke? How is he aware that you stopped?