Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I want to sue my fellow board of directors and HOA for

Customer Question
Hello, I want to...

Hello, I want to sue my fellow board of directors and HOA for discrimination. How can I do this. i am a newly elected board member, the only black with a builing of 52 units with only 5 blacks in the building. Problem when I first moved in - Couldn't move in for a month because feight elevator was down and board wouldn't alow me to use passenger elevator. However, white femaile was allowed to use the passenger elevator to move during the same time period. Next, I was elected to board in April 2017. Now the property manager is excluding me from all communications for Homeowners. When emails are sent to property manager with questions or concerns from homeowners with my name on the email, property manager deletes me from the email chain. Also, the property manager will not send me any communications that goes out to all homeowners. I am the only one being excluded. There have been instances where some of the other board members and property manager ignore my requests for meetings or response to homeowners situations that I look into. They are violating my rights as a homeowner. They are trying to push me out the neighborhood. Can I Sue. Also can you recommend a lawyer for the Atlanta Georgia area.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Atlanta, GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What do you mean paperwok?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No legal paperwok has been filed. I am a black female 55 years old that move to a Buckhead condo 1 year ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley
You would need to retain an attorney who handles civil rights matters as what the board is doing is wrong.
I already know I need to retain an attorney. I need to know if this a probability of a discrimination case and if you have an attorney that I can run question by so I will know how to proceed. Can you give me an guidelines on this type of case.
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
I am in court now but I can send you a list of qualified attorneys later on today
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley