Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am getting evicted, the land owner did not do much of

Customer Question
I am getting evicted...

I am getting evicted, the land owner did not do much of equality. I had hole in the ceiling, it took two weeks without gas. And a list of stuff I had to deal with. This is with a Cancer patient(son). I would like to sue back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas, Denton county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, two week from now, served Friday, we had verbal agreement, next week we were served.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are broke, my wife’s company shutdown and I quit working for the landlord, because she employs know drug dealer, he has stolen several item, I have no proof of it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you are having to deal with.

Every tenancy carries with it the implied warranty of habitability and the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises in exchange for the rent.

If the landlord is refused to make necessary repairs and filed for eviction then you can countersue for breach of the lease and retaliatory eviction.

Retaliation occurs when the landlord wrongfully terminates the lease, files for eviction, deprives the tenant of the use of the premises, decreases services to a tenant, or increases the rent because a tenant tries to exercise his rights.

Retaliation is often, but not always, illegal. For example, a landlord is not allowed to retaliate against a tenant for requesting repairs, or calling a government or nonprofit agency about a problem. If the landlord takes any adverse action against a tenant within six months of the tenant's action, the landlord is presumed to have improperly retaliated.

You would answer the complaint you received and add your counterclaim to the Answer you file in the forcible.

Make sure you have a written record of the damages and your request for repairs.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I do not have anything, but verbal agreement, she doesn’t even give a receipt for the rent money, I guess she doesn’t want proof, to this.