Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm trying to check if i can pursue a lawsuit against my…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm trying to...

Hi, I'm trying to check if i can pursue a lawsuit against my landlord.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Background of the case: He agreed to build an half bath and a laundry facility for us in our floor but he did not do it for almost a year

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

And i had to vacate the house since he is has not done it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO paper work filed. I'm just checking if this can be taken up

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/2/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 11 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Was this agreement part of your lease?

Thank you for your cooperation.

The lease did not mention the floor will have 1 full bath and 1 half bath plus laundary. however i have what's app conversations with him on this, where i kept inquiring about the bath and laundry. The lease just mentions that the 2nd floor unit excluding 1 additional room outside of entrance. pls let me know if you need any further details of you need to review my lease. i can take a photo and send each page. Also the area which was designated for half bath and laundry was not completed right since the date we entered into the lease(9/15/2016) till the day i moved out of the house (8/31/2017)
just to understand the charges on phone . will it be $ 5 + $59. pls let me know what will be the total charge if i had to choose the phone call option And will i get a call immediately. I'm in EST time zone in NJ and it is 3.22 AM now.

Thank you for the information. However, I cannot review documents under this chat. Review of documents is offered through the site's premium service for additional cost. I do not participate in that program. You can request for that service. Any Attorney who is interested would accept the offer and contact you. However, we can continue here if you want to.

ok Thanks!. I will chat here for now. So just trying to check based on the information i have provided, do you thing my case is something which i can pursue and can i file a lawsuit against the Landlord.
Pls let me know if you are looking for more details on this case to help you answer better

Thank you for the information.

I am so sorry to read for the delay in getting back to you. I had some issues with my computer.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review your post and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You can file lawsuit against your Landlord to recover part of your rent if building the half bath and laundry room was part of the rent. However, if it was just something that the Landlord wanted to do extra for you for no additional rent, then you would not have a case against the Landlord.

The lawsuit would be filed at the Courthouse where the house is located. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Goodluck with your case,

Thanks, ***** ***** your response . I have message that he will build a half bath and laundry for me but that is not in lease anyways. Pls advice if i can still take this to court . Also the landlord is trying to take off more than half a month's rent for normal wear and tear. what should i do here now.

My previous answer stands. You cannot file lawsuit against the Landlord for reneging on his promise to build a half bath and laundry for you if the additions were not part of your rent. That is, you would have paid the same rent regardless if the additions were made or not.

Your question regarding damages to property is a new question that was not part of your initial post. The policy of this site requires that you open a new thread/chat for the question.

Thank you for your cooperation.