Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a mortgage on my house. When the insurance company…

I have a mortgage...

I have a mortgage on my house. When the insurance company issued my advance check for flood insurance damage it was obviously made payable to me and the mortgage company. The mortgage company now wants me to give them the name of a general contractor. Why? I am working myself, no general contractor to secure contractors to repair the damage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, with FEMA and USAA that provide flood insurance. USAA has already issued the advance ceck payable to me and the mortgage company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nop, just want to know why they want me to use a general contractor. Adds additional expense. I'll find my own contractors to do the work./

10/2/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The reason they want you to use a general contractor is so they have someone on the hook in case the work isn't properly done up to code. They can't really come in and sue you if you did a poor job, but they could sue a contractor who had insurance for any damages and to pay for having work done correctly. They are looking out for their collateral for the loan, i.e. the house, and want to make sure it is repaired properly..

.

With that said, you can locate contractors and then forward their information to the lender so they know who they are. But with all the damages and shady contractors who will be attracted to the state, you would definitely want to make sure your contractors are licensed and insured so you can hold them accountable if they do a bad job..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer