Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in CA and bought a house in Austin Texas more than 6…

Customer Question
I live in CA and...
I live in CA and bought a house in Austin Texas more than 6 months ago. I had gone to Austin last Dec with my bro and we ended up seeing 15 houses and not really liking anything . We told the property manager (he manages property for some of my colleagues in Austin) our requirements and concerns and we thought he got it when he send us this listing of a 2500sq foot house in march .
Long story short - in 6 months he has spent 6k in upkeep etc, he got some tenants only for two months (they had to be evicted and I heard he brought them over from a different property) , he told me that there was asingle dad who is going to be renting my place and then lo and behold there is an eviction situation and apparently one of the tenants cant pay rent . Now the house has been empty and he still runs bills upto a 250 for electricity - ($1000 in cleaning only) looks neglected and not so clean with multiple bulbs missing , and a ton of other things .
I am asking him to release me and he is saying I have to pay another 1K . I have only seen 1.5 months of rent on this . Please advise what I can do in this scenario please .
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
From facts mentioned you are seeking release from agreement due to failure to perform. That is a valid reason and you may cancel on that basis. You may even try to recover fees or threaten to sue. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”