Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in State. I have prepaid 10 months rent in advance to…

Customer Question
I live in Washington...

I live in Washington State. I have prepaid 10 months rent in advance to the landlord. I was month to month before this payment. Do I now have in effect a ten month lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington State

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The landlord cashed my check and it has cleared my bank.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Is anything in writing? Why did you agree to this?

Nothing in writing except the memo line of the check indicates that it is for rent payment. I was current on rent so none would or could be used for past rent. The reason I did so was to keep the place secured as mine while saving to purchase my own place. The rent is a great deal.

Thank you for the reply. Please allow me a moment

In a situation like this, you could argue that you have a ten month lease I say this because if the rent was paid in advance and accepted, the landlord could not just ask you to vacate and terminate the lease with the proper notice, as they could with someone who rents and pays month to month. For the tenant to end, there would need to be a violation or breach of the lease agreement, so absent that happened, you would be locked in for ten months. The landlord could not just return a portion of the money and ask that you vacate, unless you agree,

That was my understanding as well. Can you share with me the statute that you used to arrive at your opinion?

It is the implied conduct and actions of the parties. Not a specific statute. I say this because there was an agreement and the intent of the parties, to have you occupy the rental for 10 months. After all, if a landlord nor tenant wanted that, they would not simply pay in advance, absent a written agreement, which laid out terms and conditions, that would allow one to break the tenant. You can argue that this was an IMPLIED CONTRACT between the parties.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!