Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom who is 89 years old, owns a condo in Marathon Key Fl.

Customer Question
My mom who is...

My mom who is 89 years old, owns a condo in Marathon Key Fl. She did a reverse mortgage over 15 years ago. She has used up all her assets. I don't think she fully understood what she was doing. She only did it to provide a resident for her son who didn't work. When he passed, she started renting out the apartment unit in order to pay the taxes and HOA fees. She claimed Homestead Exemption. She now received a letter from Dade County that she owes taxes approximately $3500 for the last 10 years because she wasn't living there. What are her options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Florida - Monroe County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, she filed for a reverse mortgage 15 years ago. It was under my brother's name and he resided there. It was then changed over to her name, but she did not reside there. She rented the apartment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No - I just wanted to know if there is a cost to this? Can you provide me with that?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Here she either pays or they foreclose on it.Since she reversed out the equity she may decide to let it go.They just caught up here on her not living there.There really isn't any room to negotiate here unless she can show residency for part of the time.If she was renting it and not living there no basis to challenge.She may decide here to either pay this or let it go into foreclosure.

I appreciate the chance to help you .If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.I wish her the best.

Ray, Lawyer