Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I two questions. FIrst my husband and I are divorcing. He…

Customer Question
Thank you. I two...

Thank you. I two questions. FIrst my husband and I are divorcing. He giving me most of the real estate. I live in California. My income last year was $35,000. The first house I want to sell is in Portland Oregon. We bought it for $89,000 25 years ago and will place it on the market for $550,000. We did take a second on it. I have another one here in palm desert I want to as well. Purchased for $172,000 want to sell for $282,000. My soon to be ex says since my income is lower than $40,000 I won't have to pay capital gains. Second question. If I do pay capital gains can I lump the two properties together and purchase a multi family unit? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The first is Oregon the second palm desert CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

For what

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I believe you are referencing a 1031 Starker exchange; and this does allow an owner to sell two properties and then purchase a replacement property. The relevant time frames begin to run from the sale of the first property. It has to be a like kind exchange which is broadly defined as: the same nature or character, even if they differ in grade or quality.

Please see:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/Archive/professionals/taxnews/2015/January/03.shtml

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/1031_reporting_requirements.shtml

Capital gains tax is determined by one's income tax bracket.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Ok so to clarify, since I made only $35,000 last year would the sales of my 2 rental properties not be prone to capital gains? This is very important to the decision of our assets split.Thanks corinne

Last year's income is irrelevant to the sale of property for this year; it is based on the calendar year. If one is in the zero tax bracket, they would not pay capital gains-please see:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc400/tc409

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: