Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My condo in NJ was damaged by fire. Building is condemned,

My condo in NJ...

My condo in NJ was damaged by fire. Building is condemned, but assn. want me to still pay maintenance. Are they right? Thanks, Andy

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What paper work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I rent out my condo and after fire I lost my tenant and my income . I did not have ins, for income. How I can get my money. rebuilt my condo can take 12 to 16 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

In New Jersey

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you a tenant here? Or the owner?

I'm owner and I rent out
no

Thanks

And is there a plan to rebuild this condemned building?

And what is the context for your statement "no"?

i can not call right now

And is there a plan to rebuild your building?

they will rebuilt but will take 12-16 months. Should i pay maintenance if i'm not using this plaxce?
Hello, are you there

I am here...I was typing an answer.

ok, thanks

As an owner, you are responsible to the homeowners association for the dues. This is true even if the building is condemned. The homeowners association, in turn, is responsible to you to safeguard and use the dues it receives to manage the property.

So yes...they can, and should, charge the dues, and they should also ensure those dues are used to care for the property.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can stop paying dues but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
ok, Thank you.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil