Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a homeowner who has a person renting a room in the

Customer Question
I am a homeowner...

I am a homeowner who has a person renting a room in the house I own and live in that I would like to get out of my house. We do have a agreement as to what they pay monthly. How should I go about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland, Allegany county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Whether you can get this person out right away depends on the kind of rental agreement that you have. If you have a yearly lease, then you were going to have to wait until that lease is up, unless that person has done something to violate the least like not paying the rent. On the other hand, if there is no written yearly agreement, then the tenant is going to be on a month-to-month agreement. This means that all you have to do is provide them with 30 days written notice that they are to vacate the premises at the end of the upcoming month. You do not have to provide a reason why you are doing this so long as the reason is not discriminatory. Typically, you can go to a website like rocketlawyer.com or legalzoom.com To find state specific eviction notices.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.