Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A large tree on condo common property fell through my

Customer Question
A large tree on...

A large tree on condo common property fell through my bedroom window. Who pays for my window and rain damage

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

SArasota florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, but I have replaced the window

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The tree(s) are large pines and regularly lose branchs

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The answer to your question is that it's going to be the HOA that has to pay. The reason is because the HOA is responsible for all of the common areas in the subdivision. If something from there subdivision causes damage to your property, then they are going to be generally responsible for paying for the charges. It is probable that the HOA has Insurance to help cover situations like this. However, if they fight you on this you couldn't say that you will sue them for negligence and include their insurance company as well. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.