Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Missouri homeowner files damage claim with insurance

company, and, receives $150,000. Insurance...
Missouri homeowner files damage claim with insurance company, and, receives $150,000. Insurance check is written jointly to homeowner & servicer; signed by homeowner and sent to servicer for deposit. Are these funds required to be deposited in, and, maintained in a segregated. federally insured account during the damage repair process? What is the Missouri law that governs the handling of the insurance proceeds?Url deals with issue, but with no backup..
http://eoplugin.commpartners.com/afsa/afsa_080916_state_escrow_laws_handout.pdf
9/29/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello; Thank you for your patience as I reviewed your question.

The courts in MO adhere to the terms of the contract as between the homeowner and the lender. Basically if the loan terms allow the lender to apply the proceeds to the balance of the loan, the lender can act accordingly, even without the consent of the homeowner. The courts have taken a back seat role in this and allow the terms of the contract to govern (for example, CA will actually void such a clause but MO has no such provision)

Please see here

Also please see here for a powerpoint that addresses these scenarios.

I could not find any authority that requires such proceeds to be kept in escrow if it is to be used towards rebuilding; when there is no statutory mandate then the court will look to the terms of the contract to determine the parties' obligations.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator